Workshop on Smart Wearables for the Internet of Things
|Lecturer:||Cristina Soaz, Therese Tönnies|
|Targeted Audience:||Bachelor and Master|
|Term:||Summer semester/Winter semester|
|Time & Place:||From 12:00 to 14:00 in Room 0938 (on the corridor in front of the cafeteria)|
The Workshop on Smart Wearables for the IoT offers master students the possibility to gain hands-on-experience on the Internet of Things by designing and deploying software solutions based on Android wearables connected to the internet and other devices. Goal of the workshop is to connect a quadrocopter to two smartwatches and to design a stable control using sensor signals from both watches.
The course is composed of a series of workshop sessions. Each session consists of a short theoretical introduction and hands-on projects, where small applications will be programmed together to deploy a specific solution. Students ca also take home the devices and further improve their projects on their own. After finishing this course students will be able to create their own IoT projects connecting smartphones or smartwatches to other hardware devices, e.g. smart home devices, over the internet.
Students will learn the basics of developing an Android project, running an Android application, building a simple user interface, reading out sensor data and working with a NodeJS server and serial bus communication.
1. Hands controlled Quadcopter
Have you always wanted to fly, but skydiving is too extreme for you? Then, congratulations, this is your course!!
This semester you will learn how to fly a miniaturized Quadcopter with the movements of your hands!
- 1st. session: Basics about Quadcopters and flight dynamics: pitch, yaw and (rock &) roll.
- 2nd session: Setup NodeJS server / SocketIO communication.
- 3rd session: Controlling the Quadcopter device from smartwatch / Implementation of controlling algorithms based on IMU data.
- 4th session: You can extend the system with your own ideas e.g. turn on/off near device by gesture.
At the end of the block we will test your flying skills. For the best pilots we will have a reward!
2. Create your smartband
Have you ever dreamed of playing in a rock band? Stop dreaming and get into action!
In this course you will learn how to "air play" different instruments by "tuning" your smartwatches.
- 1st. session: Writing an Android app to tune the "air instrument" you want to play.
- 2nd session: Connection to a cloud platform via REST-API. Implementation of the algorithms that will control each tune.
- 3rd session: Sending the data from the smartwatch to the cloud platform and reproducing your "air instrument" in a remote sound/display device.
- 4th session: You can extend the smartwatch app and cloud with your own idea with help of the supervisor or just get ready for the concert!
For the most creative bands there will be also a reward.
3. Gamify your movements
Gone are the days of playing video games like a couch potato!
In this last block the guys of the start-up Refit will show you how to control a video game with the power of your body.
- 1st. session: Basics about sensors used to control video games and their applications.
- 2nd session:How to create a connection between a smartwatch and a pc and share information. The smartwatch will acquire sensor data and will transmit it on real-time to a computer.
- 3rd session: Implementation of algorithms for activity recognition using sensor data.
- 4th session: Simple 2D game construction will be explained to give the possibility to extend the project.
For the most committed video gamers, there will be a surprise!
- You must bring your own laptop. We will give support on how to install SDK and the necessary programming tools on Linux machines.
The Workshop is offered to bachelor and master students of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Computer Science. For registration you have to be identified in TUMonline as a student.
Maximum number of students: 25.
Online Guidance Material
Click on the links below here to download the guidance material for each of the sessions.